In what’s becoming an annual celebration of the spooky, Colonyhouse will be decked out in classic Dia de los Muertos décor with themed foods and beverages Friday through Sunday, October 25-27, 2019.
The weekend begins with Friday-night dinner and a mini-workshop —“Hueso (bone) Thumping Writing Prompts and La Lluvia de Ideas (brainstorm session),” snack/dessert.
Saturday features breakfast and a mini-workshop — “Writing the Dia de los Muertos Way, a Little Scary with a Lot of Heart,” followed by lunch and lots of time to write, and then a Campara party (Oaxacan carnival of costume and dance) with cocktails and dinner, and evening readings of work in progress, snack/dessert.
Finish up the weekend Sunday with breakfast, time to write, clean-up, lunch, and a wrap-up discussion.
Here is the content of the mini-workshops:
- “Hueso Thumping Writing Prompts and La Lluvia de Ideas” session is all about generating ideas, getting hook-y beginnings and jumpstarting problem areas.
- “Writing the Dia de los Muertos Way, a Little Scary with a Lot of Heart” — Dia de los Muertos is a way of looking at death as a part of life, with humor and remembrances of the departed. We will talk about how to put memories, comedy, magic realism and a few scares into the mix.
The weekend runs from after 4 p.m. Friday, October 25, to Sunday, October 27, after lunch at Colonyhouse in Rockaway Beach, Oregon.
Leading the festivities will be Esqueleto de Perro Becky (“Skeleton Dog”) Kjelstrom and Calavera de Azucar D’Norgia (“Sugar Skull”) Taylor-Price.
The cost of $175, double occupancy, includes all food and beverages. Food will be pescatarian (vegetarian with some fish). Spice level will be mild with hot sauces on the side if you like it pecante. Gluten-free options are available on request.
Themed foods and beverages:
- Pan de Muertos (sweet bread )
- Huevos a la Mexicana (scrambled eggs with onion, tomato and chilis)
- Sopa Azteca (tortilla soup)
- Fiambre de Guatemala (Guatemalan marinated veggie salad)
- Altares de las Chalupas (chalupas table)
- Camarones en Salsa de Mole (shrimp mole)
- Flan de los Angelitos (angelic custard)
- El Bizocho de Chocolate (mexican brownies)
- Canela Horchata (cinnamon rice drink)
- Margarita de la Catrina
- Hanal Pixan Hot Chocolate (Mayan hot chocolate)
Register using the form below. If you have any questions, email Becky at firstname.lastname@example.org.