OWC’s Verse of Ages 2021 celebrates poetry in virtual style with poet Susan Blackaby.
Get ready for a month of prompts!
April, Poetry Month, culminates in a poetry slam May 4, 2021, at 7 p.m. Poets of all ages and stripes can jump on Zoom and read the poems they’ve been crafting throughout April. Zoom address and more details will be posted on social media about two weeks before the slam.
There are no rules, just guidelines, including the following suggestions:
- Use the word of the day in a poem.
- Free associate to see where the word takes you.
- Build a web of connected ideas and images to spark an idea.
- Change the word’s part of speech.
- Use the word to build a compound word.
- Brainstorm a list of rhyming words, slant rhymes, words that repeat the consonant sounds, words that repeat the vowel sounds.
- Explore the word’s synonyms and antonyms.
- Dig through a Thesaurus or mine the adjacent words in a dictionary.
- Combine words on consecutive days and work two or more into a single poem.
Short or long; formal, blank, or free verse; topical or fanciful or anything in between—your choice. Wind up your imagination and let it spin.
A poem a day? Go for it! And be ready to share May 4.